The CFSAN formulates national regulatory policy on the safety and labeling of food and cosmetic products. The CST applies social science knowledge and techniques to plan, implement, analyze, and evaluate policy-oriented consumer research for the Center and provides expert social science advice to CFSAN and other FDA units. This research focuses on, but is not limited to, consumer and industry response to nutrition and food safety issues, including nutrition labeling, warning labels, risk communication, and consumer education. The research is critical for Center decision-making and can have important and long-term implications on the health and welfare of U.S. consumers.
- Conduct and/or participate in planning, conceptualizing, designing data collection (e.g., focus groups, surveys, and experimental studies) and analysis of primary and/or secondary data;
- Advise Center management on consumer research issues as they relate to Center policies and serve as technical advisor to various committees and task groups within and outside the Center that deal with matters affecting consumers and industry;
- Disseminate and/or participate in disseminating research findings in peer-reviewed journal articles, in presentations at professional society meetings and conferences, and to CFSAN and other FDA units; and
- Maintain contacts with professional peers within and outside of the FDA and maintain a current working knowledge of consumer research literature.
- A Master’s or Doctoral degree in a behavioral or social science discipline including, but not limited to, communications, consumer science, economics, evaluation, marketing, psychology, public health, public policy, survey methodology, and sociology;
- Evidence of training and experience in applied quantitative and/or qualitative research in a social science discipline;
- Strong written and oral communication skills; and
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residency.
Applicants should send a resume and two research writing samples by April 30, 2013 to Ms. Amy Lando at OAO-Mail@fda.hhs.gov.