The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission in Washington, DC is seeking undergraduate and graduate students for internships in the Division of Risk, Strategy, and Financial Innovation (RSFI). RSFI integrates financial economics and data analytics to the core mission of the SEC. In doing so, RSFI is involved in the entire range of SEC activities, including policy-making, rule-making, enforcement and examination.
RSFI is offering unpaid training opportunities to undergraduate/graduate students in the Washington, DC area. Qualified students will be studying economics, finance, or a related quantitative field (mathematics, statistics); have experience analyzing data using Excel, SAS, Matlab, or Stata; be knowledgeable about securities and derivative products, and understand how financial markets operate. Alternatively, previous consulting experience and expertise in process mapping is desired.
The internship introduces qualified students to the regulation of securities markets and the work of the Commission. Positions are available in the following offices within RSFI: Office of Investments and Intermediaries, Office of Markets, Office of Litigation Support, Office of Corporate Finance, Office of the Managing Executive, and Office of the Deputy Director.
Selection Criteria: The SEC considers your entire background when it evaluates applications. Selections are made based on many elements, including high academic qualifications and preferably some knowledge of or a significant interest in the securities industry. Selection criteria include: a demonstrated interest in the SEC's mission; coursework, work experience, and/or research projects/publications relevant to RSFI; dedication to public service; and participation in extracurricular activities. Securities coursework is not a prerequisite.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen, OR a U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card), OR a F1 Student Visa holder (Please provide I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status). Citizenship questions should be directed firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Relatives of current SEC employees are ineligible.
• Currently enrolled in an accredited academic program. Verification will be required.
• Students must have a minimum GPA of 2.5. We highly recommend that students have a 3.0 GPA or higher.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this opportunity, students should apply by email and should follow the procedure below. Failure to follow these instructions about creating and naming your PDF may result in you not being considered. Please submit an application to email@example.com. Please include your name and “SMITH, JAN- `RSFI Fall Internship Application Packet” in the subject line. The packet must include:
• a resume or vitae,
• (Unofficial) School Transcript (graduate students should include undergraduate transcripts as well)
• a brief cover letter indicating: ( one-page cover letter should be addressed to "SEC Fall 2012 Intern Program" with the address of the headquarters) your reason for seeking the position
o your country of citizenship or your immigration status